Saturday, April 4, 2009

A sugar-free, tin world.

This past week saw two journeys begin in our family. The daughter child got braces, and I embarked on a 30-day trek to go without sugar or yeast.

My sweet girl's braces are just HUGE in her mouth. She has only 12 brackets, but then she got a Herbst appliance she'll wear for 9 months, the purpose being to move her jaw forward just a smidge. Bless her, she can still barely open her mouth, and brushing her teeth is quite the ordeal. But she's really only complained for one day - yesterday. She's being so strong about it, even though I know they drive her crazy. Very proud of her and the maturity with which she's handling this.

As for me, well, it's time for the sugar "addiction" to take a hike. This is drastic and crazy - and amazingly, annoyingly hard - but it will be worth it in the end. I need to do much better at taking care of myself overall, not just for me but for my children. I intend to be around playing with their children, and my current diet didn't mesh with that goal. Plus I've been blessed with parents who are super-active healthy eaters - and tremendous role models for the entire family. Rus has hopped on board the train a little bit and is cutting way back on sugar and yeast. We're exercising together, which is healthy - and fun.

We're on Spring Break this week, enjoying time at the beach with my parents. A change of venue is nice, and we spent lots of time outside today. On tap for tomorrow: cruising the spring art fair at the Village and visiting the national park right around the corner. And lots of exercise. :) Care to join me?

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Sounds wonderful this week Kim.

Em has the similar jaw problem. They adjust amazingly well to tin in the mouth. I should join you on the sugar free attempt. I do NOT eat well, and have for a few years now felt that I really need to change that. Maybe you'll inspire me :)

Have a great week! Wish we were there. But I'm sure spring is going to arrive sometime here.